13 October, 2006

RGBP Friday Five: Creature Comforts

Reverendmother writes...

Maybe it's the arrival of crisp October, my favorite month. Or maybe it's the fact that the divine little miss m has been sick all week (and if the baby ain't happy, ain't nobody happy). Whatever the reason, my thoughts have been turning to cozy creature comforts--those activities and spaces that just make a person feel good. And so...


1. Comfort beverage: Hot tea, usually herbal. But if I can get it, when I'm sick I prefer Ribena (hot). Ribena is a blackcurrant concentrate that can be diluted and drunk hot or cold. You can make it as sweet and syrupy as you want, depending on how much you dilute it. I encountered it first in Finland as a high school exchange student and then in its homeland, the United Kingdom, when I did a college semester near Oxford. We've ordered it online a couple times. I really should stock up for the cold and flu season.

2. Comfort chair: Our big brown one, while not exactly the color we imagined, it has a mushy pillow back and is wide enough for me to tuck my feet up under me.

3. Comfort read: Calvin and Hobbes. I have the 3-volume hardcover set. It works to sooth mental health aches, too. Second choice, any non-thought-provoking magazine.

4. Comfort television/DVD/music: "Who's Line is it Anyway?"/"M*A*S*H"/Anything Indigo Girls

5. Comfort companion(s): My husband, children, or best sem friend (via phone), but if I'm really sick, I prefer to be alone.

2 comments:

Iris said...

Ribena! I haven't thought about that drink in ages! The British women I worked with in the summer of 1992 in Hong Kong introduced me to it. And Nutella (another great comfort food!)

Unknown said...

Hey it is never too late to play.
Good play. Thanks for the explaination of Ribena. Such a comfortable place and play.