15 October, 2006

Stewardship meets Pledge Drive

What would you get if you crossed your church's stewardship campaign with a public radio/public television pledge drive? I have just been through both in my listening and worshiping lives. Who is more successful? My public radio station always seems to fall woefully short of its goal. I think our stewardship drive went well, but how many of those pledges are fulfilled? Should the church offer premiums to those who tithe? ". . . And at the 10% level we have a wonderful tote bag. If you can manage more than 10%, we'll throw in a coffee mug, too." Should the church have challenge grants? "If we can get five new families to pledge, the Smiths will throw in enough money for a new roof!" Could there be underwriting statements at the beginning and end of each worship? "This worship brought to you by worshippers like you!"

Actually, I think the premiums may have potential. Some day. . . .

5 comments:

Unknown said...

What a thought, might be just the ticket.

will smama said...

Just don't interrupt Sesame Street.

A. Lin said...

My dh mentioned this idea to me a couple of weeks ago. He would have preferred a pledge drive over our pastor's sermon on stewardship.

I think that congregations like to see their money going for specific things. Unfortunately, most of the expenses in our churches are not material things; instead, they are the salaries that we pay for our ministers.

LutheranChik said...

I think we should give out some of our Church Ladies' hot dishes as premiums for pledging.;-)

LutheranChik said...

You know...it just ocurred to me...I have become a Church Lady.