15 September, 2006

Greatness Friday Five

RevGalBlogPals Greatness Friday Five:
“Friday Five: Brushes with Greatness

The Reverendmother writes:

In the coming days, I'll be meeting my creative/artistic role model--a singer-songwriter who has been a part of my spiritual journey for some 10 years now. I'm psyched! David Letterman used to have a feature on his show called "Brushes with Greatness." Members of the audience would share stories of encounters with famous people. And so... 1. Tell us about a time you met someone famous.
In the summer of 1997 I met Walter Wangerin, Jr. long enough for him to sign a book. He preached at that summer's ELCA Nat'l Youth Gathering in New Orleans, and I think I cried during his sermon -- such a proclamation of the Gospel. Well, when he was signing books, I knew I had to ditch the youth from my church so I could stand in line just to say hello and thanks.

2. Tell us about a celebrity you'd like to meet.
I would like to meet Jimmy Carter. I have wanted to since I started doing some Habitat work in grad school (the first time). I think that the way his faith demonstrates itself in his life is inspiring. I would also like to meet the Indigo Girls or any of the past or current members of the US Women's Soccer Team.

3. Tell us about someone great who's *not* famous that you think everyone oughta have a chance to meet.
My former pastor is someone I think everyone oughta have a chance to meet. She is almost completely lacking in pretension. When she speaks to you, you feel that you are the most important person in the room. She speaks to everyone at their level and with the utmost respect. Children, the teenager with Down Syndrome, and the University Vice President all get her complete attention when they are in front of her. She is interested in their lives, and then she remembers what she's learned from them. She's also an excellent preacher and teacher. Yes, she's my role model.

4. Do you have any autographs of famous people?
The aforementioned book signing.

5. If you were to become famous, what would you want to become famous for?
Apologetics and/or preaching. Rather pretentious, but hey.

Bonus: Whose 15 minutes of fame was up long, long ago?
Brittany Spears' slacker husband. I'm kind of tired of the nightly jokes on Leno.

Technorati tags:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I "met" Jimmy Carter when he was running for president- however, he would be one person I would enjoy sitting down and drinking a glass of tea with and enjoying having a conversation with him.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to RGBP! Hope you find the group as helpful, welcoming and warm as I have!

Unknown said...

Hey welcome to revgalblogpals famous and infamous. HOpe you get the call you want. It is different with little ones.