30 September, 2006

RGBP Friday Five: Groups

Friday Five: Groups

From Reverendmother:

Last night was the second meeting of the Night Owls, a new women's circle at the church I serve. It's a nice group--we're getting to know one another and figuring out the format and flow of the evenings.

And speaking of groups...

1. Tell us about any group(s) you currently belong to. (e.g. book club, knitting circle, walking buddies, etc.) This is pathetic. I really don't belong to any groups right now. Boy, I didn't realize I was this isolated.

2. Do you feel energized or drained by being in a group situation? If the answer is "it depends," on what does it depend? Self-chosen groups I like (like the Women's Night Out group I participated in on internship). Groups that are inflicted upon me (like my internship cluster) I usually don't like as much.

3. Is there a role you naturally find yourself playing in group situations? That is, do you naturally fall into the leader role, or the one who always makes sure the new person feels welcome, or the quiet one who sits back and lets others shine, or the host? I usually am the person in the background, even in groups I like, but in groups I don't like, my participation almost always remains grudging at best.

4. Handshakes vs. hugs: discuss. It's a familiarity thing, but I'm glad to hug the folks I know.

5. Ice breakers: a playful way to build community in a lighthearted manner, or a complete and utter hell of forced fun and awkwardness? I have both used icebreakers in a meeting/group I led and hated having to do them. I think I've used the more low-risk ones. Really don't like the rub your neighbor's shoulders, thing.

No comments: