18 September, 2006

Wedding practices

So, if you go to a wedding in a church, and no scripture is read, and there is no homily, have you really been to a Christian wedding? Admittedly, there was prayer in Jesus' name and the Lord's Prayer, but not to have 1 Corinthians 13 or the Wedding of Cana story read just seemed to be missing something.
It was my cousin's wedding, and it was the church where he is a member (or at least his mom is), so I just wondered how the couple and the pastor reached the conclusion that a wedding with no scripture would be appropriate.
Also, what do you think of music choices? Is prerecorded OK? Is secular/popular OK or must it all be Christian/religious?
Just wondering what others thought.

4 comments:

Sally said...

it would be interesting to know their reasoning wouldn't it... was it for friends sake, and if so why...etc
I have no problem with folk opting for secular ceremonies but as you say this one seems to have a foot in either place... prayers for their future.
Hi from revgals btw

Donna said...

I had to laugh at your post. (Not that it is funny--this is a serious question.) But at the last premarital session I did, the husband-to-be actually asked "do we have to do readings?" As you can probably guess, his fiance is the one who grew up Lutheran, and to whom it is important to be married in the church.

I said, yes, we had to do readings, because I didn't want anyone leaving and wondering whether they'd been to a Christian wedding.

He said he didn't care.

Should be a fun wedding...

Great post. Thanks.

see-through faith said...

welcome to rev gals.

interesting thoughts. I guess if there is a blessing then it is enough ... and personally I like to hear other scriptures not just 1 Cor 13 and the wedding of Cana read out :)

Donna said...

Hey Cog--you popped into my blog, so I'm visiting you now. I left a comment yesterday, but I don't see it, so I'm trying again.

I laughed out loud at this post. Not because the subject is funny--this is a serious matter. But it reminded me of the last premarital session I did, for a cradle Lutheran woman and her boyfriend, whose background seems to have involved Catholicism, but I'm not sure exactly how.

As we began to talk about the service, he said to me, "Do we have to have readings?"

I said, yes, we did, because I didn't want people leaving and thinking that they hadn't been to a Christian wedding.

He said he really didn't care if they thought that.

Okay. I can't wait for the next session.